Wednesday, January 9, 2008

McDonalds takes on Starbucks

I'm a big Starbucks fan. It comes from 6 months of employment as they slowly got me hooked on the java bean. It also comes from the ethic I saw as I worked there. They spent more time on training employees (called partners at Starbucks) then they spent on advertising. They were true to their mission and their love of coffee. I haven't worked there for about a year. But I would say they've gone down hill. I wonder if it is their focus on selling everything, but coffee. Whatever the case, the Starbuck's Experience isn't what it was even one year ago.

So McDonald's announces that they are going to install espresso machines and hire employees they will call "baristas." It seems that maybe they are just doing what Starbucks has done so well in the past year or so. You'll be able to get anything you want to eat or drink - even buy some fancy music on your iPhone - but you won't be able to get a decent burger.

I've never really liked McDonalds, but I've used them. When I have to eat, I stop. Their practices won't bother me, because it can't get much worse. Starbucks, on the other hand, grieves me. I hope it turns around...but in case it doesn't I should start a backup plan.

Where do you get your coffee?

2 comments:

Rev. Eric J Brown said...

Go to higher grounds if you are in Fort Wayne. As my T-shirt says - "Friends Don't let friends drink Starbucks" =o)

I just saw your blog was back and I added you to my page over at Confessionalgadfly . blogspot. Good to see you writing - and give Jay Hobson a hard time whenever you can.

Jane said...

Check out the Friendly Fox. It's just minutes from your house and they have the best cappuccino in Fort Wayne now.
(BTW, I don't like Higher Grounds, in general.)

And yes, the local Starbucks have gone downhill. The one out our way is the worst.