Friday, March 7, 2008

Music to the ears

My great friend and church musician, Cantor Janet Muth (of Memorial Lutheran Church and School) is gonna have lunch with me today.  Janet has done a great job leading both the church and school through the church's sacred music.  I'm glad to have an extra time slot to meet with her again.  Music has a special place in the heart of the church.  Humans love to sing.  Sometimes we hide it in the shower or in the car as we buzz down the freeway...but we can't help but sing, hum, or whistle.  And it is wonderful that the church is no different.  Our confession of faith is carried along in the arms of music's notes.  I suppose we love it because it fills rooms and resonates in our hearts long after we have made it home.  There are other reasons, too, but suffice it to say we love to live with music.  It is pretty crazy the kinds of music that appeal to us, too!  Whereas I couldn't even imagine hymns without an organ or piano - or perhaps church music without strings and brass - I love a good AC/DC rock out or to listen to the nuances of Metallica.  Rap and hip hop appeal to me, too.  And I just love big band.  What do you rock out to?

No comments: